Pages

Thursday, August 7, 2008

Where Do I Start?

1. Make a Plan
Since, I've already laid out the plan for you, that should be easy! But, let me explain my plan so that you can adjust it to fit your needs.. Start with a room that will not be too overwhelming, but that will also bring satisfaction. For example, I started with my Master Bedroom because I've been wanting to touch up the paint on the walls for months. I knew that if I could tackle that project I would be so happy! However, the room was pretty clean, I didn't have any unfinished projects so I knew that it wouldn't be too overwhelming.

2. Combine Similar Tasks Together
I decided to work on my Master Bathroom the week after the Master Bedroom because it makes sense to clean and organize these rooms at the same time. I combined some of the tasks from each room, which means that I technically worked on both rooms for two weeks. I have clothes and jewelry in both rooms. Also, both rooms are painted red. Therefore, it just makes sense that I would combine these two tasks together and do them at the same time. So, the first week I did the painting and the second week I organized the clothes and jewelry.

3. Give Yourself a Break
After tackling such big projects I decided to do the Boys Bathroom next. This bathroom is the smallest room in our house. It is also already pretty clean and organized. I'm ALWAYS deep cleaning this room so I shouldn't have too much work to do. This will help me finish up any unfinished work from last week's projects or start working on some projects for next week. As you can see, the Boys Bathroom will be a welcome break after finishing my tasks from the previous two weeks!

4. Prioritize Your Projects
I try to look at each room and decide what three most important things I want to accomplish. In my Master Bedroom I really wanted to touch up my paint, wash off my dusty walls and wash all of my linens (especially the drapes). Therefore, I focused my efforts on getting these three tasks done.

5. Don't Waste Your Time
Don't work on tasks that you know you are going to do on a weekly basis. Focus on things that you know you won't ever "get around to." For example, I know that every week I am going to change my bed linens and dust my nightstands so I chose to focus on washing the walls first and touching up paint, which were tasks I knew were not a weekly priority for me.

6. Keep the "Big Picture" in Mind
Don't get frustrated if it's Saturday morning and you haven't even started on your Master Bedroom (that is supposed to be finished by midnight!!) Start working on a little project in that room and see if that helps get you motivated. If that doesn't help then move onto another project in your home that you want to do. Sometimes, just switching it up a little bit helps. In the end, the most important thing is that we get everything finished at the end of the 12 weeks. It doesn't matter what order we accomplish the tasks. It only matters that we are accomplishing tasks that will get us to the end result...a renewed home!

7. Stay Focused!
Although it's fine to deviate from the course now and then, it's important to stay focused on the task at hand. For example, I was working on my Master Bedroom and had some books that I needed to return to the bookshelves downstairs. However, when I got downstairs to the bookshelf I noticed that the bookshelf needed to be reorganized. I really wanted to start organizing the bookshelf, but I knew that would deviate me from my original task; the Master Bedroom, so I returned to the Master Bedroom knowing that I would get the bookshelves organized in a few weeks when my focus would be on that room. This is the reason we start with a plain. It's important to stay focused on the task at hand instead of being distracted by the many other projects that you have around you.

No comments: